The Merrill Piano Company was established in Boston in 1885. Their factories were located on Boylston Street, Boston, and also in Neponset, Massachusetts. Merrill was known for building a very good quality piano, and they were more affordable than most other Boston makers. They offered a complete line of upright pianos, grand pianos, and player pianos. Sometime around 1925 Merrill became part of the National Piano Manufacturing Company, and they were affiliated with the large Jacob Doll Piano Company. The Merrill name was discontinued shortly before the Great Depression.