Brothers James and John McDonald were active in the piano manufacturing in New York City during the 19th Century. Established as McDonald & Brother in about 1845, their first workshop was listed at 119 Walker Street. McDonald & Brother manufactured primarily square grand pianos, and possibly melodeons as well. In 1853, the firm exhibited their pianos at the New York Crystal Palace Exhibition with great success. In 1855, the name of the firm was changed to McDonald Brothers, then again to McDonald & Company in 1861. There is no mention of the firm after about 1870. Although James and John McDonald built instruments for several years, they were a small-scale company and never built instrument in large numbers. Instruments by McDonald are exceedingly rare today.