Martin Martins is first listed as a piano maker in New York City in the early 1840s. In 1846, Martins went into partnership with Peter Ouvrier, forming the successful firm of 'Martins & Ouvrier'. Martins & Ouvrier built higher grand square pianos for several years, and they enjoyed a superb reputation. Martins & Ouvrier was dissolved in 1867, at which time Martin Martins admitted his son Eugene into partnership. The new firm was established as 'Martins & Son', and they were known for building a high grade instrument. Martins & Son enjoyed good success, and continued to build pianos up until the turn-of-the-century.