Peter Ouvrier is first listed as a piano maker in New York City in the early 1840s. In 1846, Ouvrier went into partnership with Martin Martins, forming the successful firm of Martins & Ouvrier. Martins & Ouvrier built higher grade square grand and upright pianos for several years, and they enjoyed a superb reputation. Their instruments were very reminiscent of their European contemporaries in design and construction. Martins & Ouvrier was dissolved in 1867, at which time Peter Ourvier, along with his three sons Julius, Louis and Charles, formed the firm of Ourvier & Sons. Peter Ouvrier retired in about 1880, and his sons reestablished their firm as Ouvrier Brothers in 1882. Ouvrier Brothers continued building pianos up until the end of the 19th Century.