John Frederick Luther was an active piano manufacturer, dealer and retailer during the 19th Century in New York City. In about 1842, John Luther began making pianos on a small scale, and his first workshop was located at 116 Rivington. Luther was also listed as a tuner and piano technician throughout his career, and possibly also manufactured melodeons. Luther's business grew with modest success over the years, and ultimately he had moved to East 58th Street by the 1880s. John F. Luther retired by 1885, and his instruments are exceedingly rare today.