Loud Brothers was a very early Piano Manufacturing Company based in Philadelphia, PA. Loud Brothers was established in 1822 by brothers Thomas Loud, Philogus Loud, John Loud, & Joseph Loud. Their warerooms were located at 150 Chestnut Street, and the firm enjoyed very good success building piano-fortes, organs and melodeons. In the 1830s, Loud Brothers received a patent for an early form of the cast iron piano plate with compensating tubes. It has been suggested in much of our research that the Loud Brothers of Philadelphia were the sons of Thomas Loud, the piano maker of New York which was operating at the same time. Loud Brothers went out of business in 1837, and their instruments are exceedingly rare and of museum caliber today.
INSTRUMENT CATALOGS & EPHERMERA
Loud Wareroom Photo
Early 19th Century Lithograph Of Loud Brothers' Piano Warerooms, Philadelphia