Lipp, Richard & Sohn
The firm of Richard Lipp & Sohn was established in Stuttgart, Germany in 1831. R. Lipp & Sohn was one of Germany’s most prestigious “old world” piano manufacturers and the firm enjoyed a great deal of success throughout the 19th and 20th Centuries. The firm was known for building high-quality, durable instruments of superior touch and tone.
Instruments by Richard Lipp & Sohn were primarily marketed in Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Vintage instruments by Richard Lipp & Sohn are rarely encountered in the United States, indicating they were not originally sold in North American markets.
From 1985 – 1992, Richard Lipp & Sohn was built under license of the Bentley Piano Company, Ltd. In 1993, the firm was purchased by Whelpdale, Maxwell & Codd, Ltd., and the Richard Lipps & Sohn name continued to be manufactured until 1998. Today, Richard Lipp & Sohn pianos are being built by the large Hyundai Corporation of South Korea.