(SEE ALSO CYCLOID, MELODIGRAND) William Lindeman established his firm in New York in 1836, making him one of the earliest manufacture in the United States. In about 1860, William Lindeman brought his son Henry into the firm and the name of the firm was changed to “Lindeman & Son”.
Lindeman & Son built a large variety of square grand pianos throughout the 19th Century, and they enjoyed an excellent reputation for quality and workmanship. During this period, Lindeman & Son introduced a peculiar piano called the ‘Cycloid Grand’. Their Cycloid Grand was based on a square grand piano with a rounded back sitting on three legs. It seems that there was a great deal of promotion and advertisement for the Lindeman Cycloid Grand Piano during the mid to late 19th Century, as well as a great many professional endorsements by high-profile pianists, musicians, and singers of the era.
In 1886, Henry Lindeman’s brothers Harmon Lindeman and Ferdinand Lindeman were admitted to the firm and the name was changed to “Lindeman & Sons”. Square grand pianos began to be phased out during this period while a line of upright pianos and grand pianos were introduced to the Lindeman product line.
The name of the firm was changed to Henry & S. G. Lindeman in 1901 when Henry Lindeman and Samuel G. Lindeman, third generation descendants of founder William Lindeman, took control of the firm. Henry & S. G. Lindeman introduced player pianos to the product line and brought the firm into the 20th Century with substantial success. Lindeman produced a line of pianos and player pianos under the “Melodigrand” brand name as an affordable alternative to the costlier Lindeman brand instruments.
As the Great Depression era approached, Lindeman was absorbed into the large United Piano Corporation then ultimately became a part of the large American Piano Corporation. The Lindeman brand name continued to be produced until about 1950.
Can you find your instrument listed in these antique catalogs?
Browse the Antique Piano instruments we have for sale!