F. C. Lighte was a prominent figure in America's 19th Century Piano Industry. The gentlemen that formed the Lighte, Newton & Bradbury Piano Company had quite a colorful history. The firm was originally established in 1848 as Lighte & Newton, but in 1851 William Bradbury came into partnership and the firm's name was changed to Lighte, Newton & Bradbury. Only two years later in 1853, Newton withdrew and the firm became known as Lighte & Bradbury until the company was dissolved in 1861. In 1861, William Bradbury independently formed the Bradbury Piano Company, and the Bradbury Piano Company continued building excellent pianos for almost another 100 years, going out of business in about 1950. F. C. Lighte continued to build a limited number of pianos under his own name during the 1850s and early 1860s. In 1865, F.C. Lighte went into partnership with Louis Ernest and they formed the Lighte & Ernest Piano Company, building very well made pianos until about 1890.