Leonard brand pianos were built by the large Lester Piano Company of Philadelphia. The Leonard Piano Company built upright pianos and player pianos only until 1925 when they introduced the first Leonard Baby Grand Piano which measured 4 feet, 11 inches long. During the âteens and âtwenties era, Leonard enjoyed a reputation for building very durable, well made pianos. After 1930, a line of spinet pianos were introduced to the Leonard line of instruments. The Leonard name was discontinued in 1937.