Jean Laukota is listed as a small-scale piano maker in New York City as early as about 1850. His workshop was located at 18 Harrison Street. In 1853, Laukota exhibited his square pianos at the New York Crystal Palace Exhibition with great success. In 1856, Laukota went into partnership with Theodore Marschall to form the firm of 'Laukota & Marschall', located at 5 Mercer Street. This was a short lived partnership which was dissolved a year later. After this partnership dissolved, Laukota continued to build pianos under his own name. In the late 1850s, the firm was building about 60 pianos annually. There is no mention of Jean Laukota after about 1860, indicating he was out of business before the onset of the Civil War. Pianos by Laukota are exceedingly rare today.