The Kohler & Chase Piano Company (not to be confused with Kohler & Campbell) was established in San Francisco about 1850 by Quincy A. Chase and Andrew Kohler. In the early 20th Century the firm of Kohler & Chase entered into an agreement with the firm of E. Gabler & Brother to produce some of their pianos in York City. Pianos were sold under both the 'Kohler & Chase' and 'Andrew Kohler' names. Kohler & Chase distributed pianos mainly on the West Coast during the 19th Century era, and then their pianos became more common around the Continental United States after Gabler started building them at their New York factory. Kohler & Chase is one of the few American piano manufacturers to survive the Great Depression without being absorbed into a larger conglomerate, and the firm went out of business in about 1958.