The King Piano Company was founded by Arthur J. King in Sheboygan, Wisconsin in 1901. Later, King opened factories in Chicago and Bluffton, Indiana. Pianos were built both under the brand names of 'King' and 'Arthur J. King', and they were known to very well made, durable pianos. King built several very extravagant models of upright pianos during the early 20th Century, as well as a full line of player pianos and baby grands. A.J. King died in 1912, and the firm was sold to H.C. Bay. The King name was discontinued in about 1930 when the Great Depression hit.