Ihlseng, Narvesen & Linstedt

Conrad Narvesen immigrated from Norway as a young man, and started working in New York City's piano industry in about 1845. In 1861, he became a partner in the Brooklyn based firm of Ihlseng, Narvesen & Linstedt. In 1863, Linstedt withdrew from the firm and it was reorganized as Ihlseng & Narvesen at 156 East 21st Street. The partnership of Ihlseng & Narvesen was dissolved in 1864, and Conrad Narvesen continued building pianos under his own name. In1869, Conrad's son Nicholas joined the firm, and the name of the firm was changed to Narvesen & Son. In 1880, two other Scandinavian piano makers named John Bergman and August Haugaard joined the firm, and the firm was reorganized as Narvesen, Bergman & Haugaard. In about 1885, Narvesen's interest in the firm was bought out by Richard Walters, and the name of the firm was again changed to Narvesen Piano Company. The Narvesen Piano Company continued to build pianos up until the turn-of-the-century.

INSTRUMENT CATALOGS & EPHEMERA

Ihlseng, Narvesen, & Lindstad Advertisement 19th Century Advertisement for the Narvesen Piano Company, Circa about 1875

RELATED INSTRUMENTS

$30,000 After Total Restoration
1859 | For Sale
$30,000 After Total Restoration
1872 | Sold