Henderson Pianos were originally built by the Ann Arbor Piano & Organ Company of Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Ann Arbor Organ Company was a large, prominent organ manufacturer in the 1880's and 1890's. In 1896, James C. Henderson purchased the Ann Arbor Organ Company and they continued to build pianos under the Henderson name. Henderson established a factory in Texas, and then moved the firm to Chicago in 1914. J.C. Henderson retired in 1919, and the firm was then taken over by his sons Jack and Jerry Henderson. They continued the Henderson Piano name until the Great Depression era.