There is very little information available about the firm of Hearne & Company, although it is listed that Edward Hearne was building pianos and organs in New York City during the 1830s. His workshop was located at corner of 13th Street and Avenue 5. Hearne apparently built pianos, organs and melodeons on a very small scale in New York City throughout the mid-19th Century, and his name comes up again in the 1870s era as a manufacturer of reed organs and parlor organs. By this time his firm was located at 39 Broadway, New York City. There is no mention of Hearne after about 1880, indicating that he was out of business well before the turn of the 20th Century.