Hardman, Peck & Company
The Hardman name is one of the more illustrious names in American piano manufacturing. Hugh Hardman is first listed in New York's piano industry as early as 1842, the date that Hardman, Peck & Company claims as their date of establishment.
Mr. Hugh Hardman built pianos under his own name until 1877 when he went into partnership with his son, John Hardman, establishing the firm of 'Hardman & Company'. Hugh Hardman retired in 1879, leaving the firm to his son John who continued to operate with great success. In 1880, John Hardman went into partnership with Leopold Peck and a piano dealer by the name of Dowling, changing the firm of Hardman & Company to 'Hardman, Dowling & Peck'. During this partnership, the firm was granted several patents for improved piano building, and their instruments were known to be of superb quality and design.
In 1884 Dowling withdrew from the firm, and the firm was reorganized as the famous 'Hardman, Peck & Company', and was incorporated under that name in 1905. Known simply as 'Hardman-Peck', the firm built a variety of upright, grand and player pianos in the early 20th Century. They were known for building superior quality instruments. They manufactured several other brand names including The Autotone Player Piano, Playotone, Hardman-Duo Player Piano, Standard, Minipiano, and Harrington. Sometime in the Great Depression era, industrial giant Aeolian took over Hardman, Peck & Company, and continued to build pianos under that name until the 1980's.