Mr. Charles H. J. Hamlen established his piano manufacturing firm in Charlestown, West Virginia sometime around 1840. His factory was located at the corner of Bunker Hill and Green Streets. The firm was a small-scale manufacturer of square grand pianos, and was never a major contributor to the piano industry at large. Instruments by Charles Hamlen were mostly hand-crafted and were known to be made of great quality and craftsmanship. It seems that Hamlen was out of business before the Civil War, and his instruments are exceedingly rare and of museum caliber today.