The Hamilton Piano Company was a part of the large and illustrious Baldwin Piano & Organ Company, and they have been consistently building pianos ever since they were established in 1889. Their factories were originally located in Chicago Heights, Illinois. (Hamilton was the middle name of Dwight Hamilton Baldwin, the founder of Baldwin Piano & Organ Company.) Hamilton has always been known for being a well made, durable piano of good quality, and was marketed to be a more affordable alternative to the costlier Baldwin line. During the 20th Century, Hamilton pianos could often be found in schools, churches, and studios where pianos were meant to endure harsh and constant use. Today, the Baldwin and Hamilton names are owned by the Gibson Guitar Company of Nashville, Tennessee.