Haines Brothers Piano Company was established in 1851 by Napoleon J. Haines and his brother Francis W. Haines in New York City. For the first 20 years, they built a nice selection of Square Grand Pianos before building their first upright pianos in 1870. Haines Brothers was known for building high quality, lovely sounding instruments and they were very popular for several decades. Their grand and baby grand pianos became popular after the turn-of-the-century. In the 1920's, Sherlock-Manning Piano Company took control of Haines Brothers, building the Haines Brothers brand name until ceasing operations in 1945.