The Gordon & Sons Piano Company was originally established in 1845 as Berry & Gordon by partners Stephen T. Gordon and Thomas S. Berry in New York City. In 1867-1868, Gordon partnered with Moses Slater to form the Moses & Slater firm. In 1869, Moses & Slater was dissolved and Gordon started his own firm under the name of Gordon Piano Company. In about 1873, Gordon's son, Hamilton S. Gordon, joined the firm, and the name was changed to S.T. Gordon & Son. Stephen T. Gordon died in 1890, and the firm's name was changed to Hamilton S. Gordon.
In about 1908, Bjur Brothers Piano Company bought controlling interest in Gordon & Sons, and Gordon & Sons built instruments for Bjur Brothers at their factory. After 1927, Bjur Brothers and Gordon & Sons was purchased by the large Kohler & Campbell Piano Company. The Gordon & Sons name was discontinued in about 1929 due to the Great Depression.
*Special thanks to Jeffrey Gordon Dunham, great grandson of Hamilton S. Gordon, for updated details about this firm.