Thomas Gibson was a very successful piano maker in New York City during the early to middle 19th Century. Gibson is first listed as a partner of Morgan Davis as early as 1802 in the firm of 'Gibson & Davis'. The partnership lasted for 20 years, and the firm built a number of pianos during that time. The firm was known for building very high quality, expensive pianos which were highly sought after. In 1822, Gibson withdrew from the partnership, but continued to build pianos under his own name for several years. Gibson retired from the piano industry in about 1844, and died in 1858.