John Fritz was an active piano maker in New York's piano manufacturing industry during the 19th Century. Fritz started his career in the 1830 as a cabinet maker, with his first workshop located at 80 Hester Street, New York CIty. In about 1842, Fritz is listed has having his own firm located at 105 Walker Street, New York City. In 1842, John Fritz went into partnership with William Linden to form the firm of 'Linden & Fritz'. The firm was known for building very high quality square pianos and possibly melodeons. The partnership was dissolved in 1859, and John Fritz continued building instruments under his own name until he retired in 1863.