John C. Fox and Joseph Fox were fairly active, small-scale piano manufacturers in New York City in the early to middle 19th Century. It is not clear if these two men were brothers or close relatives.
Joseph Fox is first listed as a cabinet maker in New York City as early as 1824. By 1830 Joseph Fox was building pianos at 30 Burton Street. In 1833, Joseph Fox went into partnership with Francis Gruss, building pianos under each of their names respectively. There is no mention of Joseph Fox after about 1845.
John C. Fox is listed as starting his piano business in the 1850s in New York City. In 1860, John C. Fox is listed as building pianos at 86 Walker Street. John C. Fox had a very good reputation for building high quality pianos in New York City. In about 1862 he moved his business to Kingston, Ontario. His firm manufactured pianos in Canada until 1868 when his firm amalgamated with the Canadian firm of Weber (not to be confused with the Weber Piano Company of New York). He sold his pianos under the label of "John C. Fox, Kingston, C.W." ("C.W." stands for Canada West which is what Ontario was known as from 1840 until 1867). We have had a handful of instruments by John C. Fox, mostly square grand pianos, and they were some of the finest examples of 19th Century craftsmanship we have ever seen. Instruments by his firm were truly first class in every regard.