The Estey Piano & Organ Company was one of the most important players in the late 19th and early 20th Century Piano & Organ manufacturing business. Established in 1846, Estey was one of the few American manufacturers to survive over a century. By the 19th Century, Estey was the largest producer of organs in the world. In the late 19th Century, The Estey Organ Company purchased the Simpson & Proddow Piano Company of New York City, changing it to the now famous Estey Piano & Organ Company. For decades, Estey manufactured several lines of upright pianos, player pianos and grand pianos. Estey instruments are known far and wide as being exceptionally well made, durable instrument, and they are well worth restoration and preservation today. Production under the Estey name was discontinued sometime in the 1970s.