The Ennis Piano Company was established in Hamilton, Ontario Canada in 1886. Ennis was a smaller Canadian firm that grew slowly but steadily through the 19th Century. By the turn of the 20th Century, the firm was building several styles of upright (primarily) pianos which were distributed mainly throughout Canada. The Ennis Piano Company experienced serious financial difficulty by 1910 and was auctioned off to the R. S. Williams Piano Company in 1911. R. S. Williams continued to build instruments under the Ennis brand name although these instruments were essentially R. S. Williams pianos. Ennis pianos built after 1912 shared the same serial numbers with R. S. Williams instruments. In the early 1930s, the Ennis Piano Company was absorbed into the large Mason & Risch Piano Company.