The Emerson Piano Company was originally established by William P. Emerson as the W. P. Emerson Piano Company in Boston in 1849. Emerson was one of several prominent old Boston names in piano building, and by the turn-of-the-century they were one of the largest and most successful piano manufacturers in America. W. P. Emerson died in the late 1870s, and the name of the company was changed from 'W. P. Emerson Piano Company' to 'The Emerson Piano Company'. Emerson built high quality, expensive pianos, and they were especially well known for its lavish use of exotic woods and handsome cabinetry complimenting the superior musical instrument within. The Emerson Piano Company went out of business with the onset of World War 2. Today, Emerson pianos are among the finest antique pianos we see come through our restoration shop.