Thomas J. Doyle began his career in the piano industry as early as 1828 in New York City. His first workshop is listed at 534 Pearl Street. During the 1830s and 1840s Doyle built a number of high quality square grand pianos, and enjoyed a very good reputation for the quality of his instruments. Doyle exhibited his square pianos at the American Institute Fair in 1844, winning second place among other more established manufacturers. Doyle continued building pianos throughout the 1850s, although never produced a significant number of instruments during his career (hence their rarity today). There is no mention of Thomas J. Doyle by about 1858, indicating that he was had left the industry before 1860.