The Cunningham Piano Company was one of the largest and most successful manufacturers of Philadelphia's piano industry. Established in 1891, the Cunningham Piano Company built pianos for over a century. They manufactured pianos under the names of Cunningham, Girard, and Forrest. In the 1920's, the firm purchased the Painter & Ewing Piano Company and Overbrook Piano Company. Cunningham is one of the few American piano manufacturers to survive both the Great Depression and World War 2 without being consolidated into a larger conglomerate. Many of their pianos are labeled as 'The Matchless Cunningham', and they are considered to be extremely well made pianos by the industry at large.