The Cornish Piano & Organ company was established in Washington, New Jersey in 1879. The Cornish Piano & Organ Company was a huge mail order house, selling their organs and pianos directly to the consumer from the factory through elaborate sales catalogs, advertisements, and word of mouth. This allowed Cornish to sell their instruments at a lower price than most, and their aggressive financing plans helped them become a major player in the American piano industry. Both Cornish pianos and organs were usually very elaborately carved, and they were generally very good quality overall. Sadly, the Cornish factory burned to the ground in 1922 and the firm never recovered.