Cook, J. F.
(See also Foster & Company and Armstrong Piano Company)
James F. Cook was a large music dealer in Lawrenceburg, Indiana during the late 19th and early 20th Century. Cook contracted the illustrious Foster-Armstrong Piano Company of New York to build a line of higher quality pianos under his name which would be sold in his retail stores. Foster-Armstrong was a major force in piano manufacturing in the early 20th Century, and they built pianos under the names of Foster, Armstrong, and Foster-Armstrong, as well as J. F. Cook. By the 1920's era, Foster-Armstrong merged with the giant Aeolian-American Corporation, and they began building pianos for several popular piano manufacturers including Haines, Fischer, Marshall & Wendell, Franklin, Holmes & Sons, Brewster, and Stratford. The J. F. Cook name seems to have disappeared around the World War 1 era, although Aeolian continued to build pianos under many of these names throughout the 20th Century before going out of business in the 1980's.
J. F. Cook Advertisement
Early 20th Century Advertisement For J. F. Cook Piano Company, Lawrenceburg, Indiana