SEE ALSO: SIMMONS & CLOUGH
The illustrious firm of Clough & Warren was originally established in 1850 as 'Simmons & Clough Organ Company' in Detroit, Michigan. Sometime during the mid 19th Century the name of the firm was changed to 'Clough & Warren' when Simmons left the firm and Warren took his place. Clough & Warren built some of the most elaborate and expensive pianos and organs in American history. The firm had factories in both Detroit and Adrian, Michigan and their organs were distributed all over the United States and Canada. Their instruments were incredibly ornate, often being made of rare and exotic woods and inlay. In the late 19th Century, the firm began building pianos in addition to their organ line. In addition to Clough & Warren, the firm built pianos and organs under the brand names of 'Warren', 'Wayne', and 'Marville'. In 1910, Clough & Warren stopped building pianos & organs and built only phonographs.
Warren then left the firm and established 'The Warren Piano Company', moving his company coincidentally to Warren, PA. Warren built pianos under the names of 'Warren', 'Thomas Cook & Son', and 'Wittifield Piano Company'. He also continued to build pianos under the "Clough & Warren" brand in Michigan until the 1920's era. The Warren Piano Company remained a viable manufacturer until the Great Depression era.