The Melville Clark Piano Company was establish in 1900 when Melville Clark left the prominent Story & Clark Piano Company to start his own firm. In 1901, the Melville Clark Piano Company introduced the Apollo line of pianos and player pianos. Melville Clark was an inventor and innovator, and these Apollo instruments were built as high quality, advanced instruments for their time. The firm built pianos and player pianos under the names of Melville Clark, Apollo, Art-Apollo and Apollophone (a player piano with a built in phonograph). In the 1920s, the famous Rudolph Wurlitzer Company gained control of both Melville Clark and Apollo, and they continued to build the Melville Clark line of pianos until the World War 2 era.