The Christman Piano Company was located at East 137th Street in New York City. The firm was originally established by Peter Christman in 1885, and was incorporated in 1911 by his sons. Christman was known for building high grade, expensive pianos. Their pianos were often very elaborate and boasted lavish, exotic woods. Due to the fact that Christman pianos were so expensive when new, they were only sold in modest numbers and are quite rare today. Christman also built pianos under the names of Lockhart, Schuler and Worthington.