Henry S. Calenberg began building pianos in New York City in about 1860. By 1863, Calenberg established his firm as H.S. Calenberg & Company, building primarily square grand pianos at the time. In 1864 Calenberg went into partnership with Adam Vaupel, changing the name of the firm to Calenberg & Vaupel. Calenberg & Vaupel was known for building very high quality pianos, and it is listed that by 1869 they were the 23rd largest piano manufacturer in the United States. In addition to building pianos, the firm built piano keys, action parts, etc. Calenberg & Vaupel was dissolved in about 1893, and Calenberg went back to building pianos under the name of H.S. Calenberg & Company until sometime around the turn-of-the-century.