Adam Brautigam came to New York from Germany in about 1848. In 1858, he began building pianos at his workshop on East 17th Street in New York City. Brautigam's pianos were hand made, custom built instruments that were sold both in the Untied States and Europe. They were known to be of superior quality, and were often made of lavish woods with precious metal inlay, mother of pearl, and elaborate painted art work. Brautigam offered upright pianos, square grands, and parlor grand pianos. There is no mention of Adam Brautigam after the turn of the 20th Century, indicating his firm was out of business before 1900. Instruments by Brautigam are exceedingly rare today, and deserve the finest restoration and preservation available.