James E. Brainard became the successor to the A. E. Brookes Piano Manufacturing Company in about 1857. Brainard was a successful piano dealer, and was in charge of several major piano companies in New York City. Soon after taking over A. E. Brooks, Brainard and went into partnership with Cornelius Ogden to form the firm of Brainard & Ogden. The partnership was short lived, being dissolved in 1858. In 1859, Brainard went into partnership with Luman Wing (father of Frank L. Wing of Wing & Son Piano Company) to form Brainard, Wing & Company. In 1870, the name of the firm was changed to Brainard & Wing, operating under this name until about 1879.