The William Bourne & Son Piano Company was established in 1837 in Dayton, Ohio. In about 1840, the firm relocated to Cincinnati, Ohio. As the company grew and became more successful, they left their Cincinnati factories and moved the firm to Boston, a fast growing Mecca of 19th Century piano manufacturing, in 1855. In 1873, Charles E. Bourne, the son of the founder, took control of the company and maintained ownership after the death of his father. During the 19th Century era, William Bourne primarily built square grand pianos with very few grand piano models available. As the 19th Century approached, Bourne decreased square piano production and introduced upright pianos into their line. Square pianos were all but discontinued by 1890. There is no mention of William Bourne & Son after about 1929, indicating the firm went out of business with the onset of the Great Depression. William Bourne pianos were exceptionally well made, beautiful instruments and are well worth restoration today.