John Daniel Boedicker began building square grand pianos in about 1857. His first factory was located at 84 East 28th Street, New York City. By the 1860's, Boedicker was advertising as 'a manufacturer of all types of over-strung piano-fortes', which indicates he was building upright and grand pianos as well by that time. In about 1877, Boedicker was joined by his sons Henry W. Boedicker and W.E. Boedicker, and the firm was changed to Boedicker & Sons. By this time the firm was located at 407 East 24th Street, New York City. There is no mention of the firm after 1895, indicating that Boedicker went out of business before the turn-of-the-century.