Julius Bluthner is known for making some of the finest pianos in Europes history. Bluthner established his firm in 1853 in Leipzig, Germany. The firm quickly earned the reputation for building durable, high quality instruments and by the end of the 19th Century they were considered some of the finest pianos in Europe. Famous pianists including Franz Liszt praised Bluthners instruments for their tone and durability. Julius Bluthner died in 1910, and his sons Robert, Max and Bruno took control of the firm. The Bluthner family continued to operate the firm until the factory was destroyed in World War 2. Although Bluthner continued to build pianos, it was not until 1990 that the Bluthner family again gained control of operations.