Andrew Billings began building organs in about 1874 in New York City. In about 1876, he started building pianos in addition to his organ line. Billings & Company was established about 1880, and the firm was known for building higher quality pianos as well as piano parts & supplies. After about 1895, Billings & Co. was controlled and manufactured by the Weser Brothers Piano Company, with pianos produced under both the Weser Brothers and Billings & Co. brand names. The firm built a full line of square grand, upright and baby grand pianos, and after the turn-of-the-century incorporated player pianos and coin-operated player pianos into their product line. The Billings & Co. name was discontinued in about 1929 when the Great Depression hit.