The R.M. Bent Piano Company was originally founded in New York City as Beames, Bent & Company by Richard M. Bent and James Beames. Beames & Bent built square pianos from about 1869-1880. In 1880, Richard M. Bent took full control of the company, changing the name of the firm to R.M. Bent & Company. R.M. Bent built mostly square grand pianos, and they were known as being high quality, expensive instruments. R.M. Bent continued building pianos until the turn-of-the-century era.