Francis Bacon is one of the oldest and most historical of all American piano manufacturers. Originally started by the famous business tycoon John Jacob Astor along with piano makers Robert Stodart and William Dubois in 1789, the firm was originally known as Dubois & Stodart until 1836. In 1836, Stodart retired and Francis Bacon joined the firm. In 1841, Dubois left the firm and Bacon was joined by brothers Richard & Thomas Raven, and the firm's name was changed to Bacon & Raven. In 1871, Karr joined the firm and the name was changed to Bacon & Karr. In 1904, the firm was incorporated as the Francis Bacon Piano Company. Francis Bacon continued building pianos with great success until the 1920's era when the firm was absorbed into industrial giant Kohler & Campbell. Kohler & Campbell continued building the Francis Bacon name until 1934.