Samuel M. Ambler began building pianos in New York in about 1855. In about 1856, the firm was listed as 'Ambler & Company', with their factory located at 83 Spring Street, New York City. Ambler built high grade pianos, and successfully marketed them all over the United States. Compared to most piano companies in New York at the time, Ambler & Company was relatively small and never built pianos in huge volume. By about 1870, the firm was building about 140 pianos a year, however, there seems to be no mention of the firm after about 1871.