Otto Altenburg (also spelled Altenburgh), along with cousin Frederick E. Altenburg built pianos in New York City during the 1865-1875 period after having manufactured pianos in Germany in years prior to coming to the United States. They manufactured upright and square pianos under the names of 'Otto Altenburg' and 'Frederick E. Altenburg'. In about 1868, Frederick entered into a partnership with Edward Ehrlich, and operated under the name of F. E. Altenburg & Ehrlich. This partnership lasted only about a year. The Altenburgs continued to build pianos for several more years, later expanding to become retailers in addition to manufacturers. In the 1990's, pianos built under the Altenburg name were reintroduced into the market by Samick of Korea.